Just A Minute blog

A blog on the BBC radio programme Just A Minute

Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

August 24, 2008

Yes - Clue will be back

A week ago I wrote a piece predicting I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue would return.

Well, Barry Cryer has been telling audiences at Edinburgh that I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue will be back.

According to today's Guardian, he predicts a permament chairman won't be appointed, instead someone new will guest host each week.

This comes from a column by the former News Quiz host Simon Hoggart.

Here tis...

Barry had good news: I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue is now virtually certain to come back. The BBC asked listeners whether it should return after the death of Humphrey Lyttelton, and the overwhelming majority said it should. They haven't yet decided on a chairman, since nobody could replace Humph, so it looks as if they'll try a series of different people before settling on one. Someone has suggested John Fortune, another toff with a dry, slightly distrait manner, and he is terrific. But I think they should really go for someone who is the exact opposite of Humph, otherwise they'll just evoke unwanted comparisons.


Personally, I'm not sure about changing the chairman every week. The key to Clue is its cosy familiarity - I would think different styles in the chair each week could be jarring. But of course it does avoid having to make a decision on who should "replace" Humph and I can understand why you might be reluctant to do that.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I haven't liked News Quiz NEARLY as much when Simon left. I liked the previous chairman so much too, though he did talk a lot!

7:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dean, is it?, can you delete the first comment.

Someone has published details of my private account.

Please remove it otherwise my bandwidth'll be destroyed.

Roadcone :)

5:35 am  
Blogger Dean said...

Done...

7:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you :)

7:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home