Just A Minute blog

A blog on the BBC radio programme Just A Minute

Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

December 10, 2012

Tributes to Sir Patrick Moore

Patrick Moore, one of the best guests ever on Just A Minute, has died at the age of 89. A famous astronomer, Patrick proved to be more than capable of competing with the likes of Kenneth, Clement, Derek and Peter.
 There are a trillion tributes in the UK media. Here's a selection.

The Guardian nicely sums up Patrick's life.

This piece in the Telegraph nicely sums up his life too.

We'll miss Patrick - a genuine character, a genuine eccentric and in JAM terms, the sort of guest who would never get on the programme these days. RIP


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seasons Greetings Dean!!
Here is my Patrick Moore Just A Minute story. Steph, Suzy, me and the other JAM old timers saw Patrick in JAM at the Paris Studio. After a double recording he was in had ended we were all mingling. Kenny was in a rare benevolent post-show mood and signing autographs on anything anyone gave him. Patrick stepped off the stage and onto the auditorium floor. He was a bulky man and tall too. I began asking him about his appearances on the BBC2 musical quiz FACE THE MUSIC. He told me that he loved doing it and when he first started it he had to tell Joyce Grenfell to refrain from straightening his shirt lapel in the green room before they started the show. He said a critic had once described him as 'the great unmade bed that is Patrick Moore'. 'If that's what they think of me - I have to give them what they want, do I not!!' he said with a sparkle in his eye.
Then Prue a new addition to our little coterie (a bit too pushy for my liking) barged in and blurted out to him 'You're very manic! Up and down all the time -Do you suffer from manic depression?'
Without missing a beat Patrick replied 'I suppose I might be...but I don't think I'm as familiar with it's symptoms as you might be!'
Patrick was a wonderfully unique man - supremely intelligent and witty - I shall miss him a lot.

The team for Saturday's Just A Minute has only been partly confirmed - Paul, Gyles and Josie with Alun Cochrane in the one show and newbie Tim Hyam Smith in the second.

Lots of love Keith

6:46 am  
Blogger Jack said...

I was actually looking him on Google when I came across this post. Your thread in spot on.

8:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home